You can take advantage of the hard disk to create partition for different usages. For example, one is for your Windows 7 operating system and the others are used for storing files, games and movies, etc. We advise you to create at least two partitions in Windows 7 to easily handle the data and system separately. Then, how to create partition in Windows 7?
In most cases, you are able to create partition with Windows 7 Disk Management snap-in. To create partition, you need to be well aware that MBR disk is limited to 4 primary partitions, or 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition which can contain multiple logical drives. Otherwise, you may encounter two symptoms when trying to create partition in Windows 7 with Disk Management.
Symptom 1: "You cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because the disk already contains maximum number of partitions".
The above error message appears because there are already three primary partitions and one extended partition on Disk 0. Therefore, you can not create partition any more. In order to create more partitions, you have to reinstall Windows 7 and format hard drive. However, the latest Partition Magic Windows 7 software allows you to create more partitions without formatting and reinstalling.
Symptom 2: "The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s) (except the current boot volume). Are you sure you want to continue?"
The above error message appears (especially in HP OEM computer) because there are already four primary partitions on Disk 0. Therefore, you can not create partition any more unless converting to dynamic disk. However, you can only revert back to basic disk by deleting all the volumes on dynamic disk. Therefore, you must NOT click "Yes". Partition Magic Windows 7 software can help you create more partitions without converting to dynamic disk.
Create partition in Windows 7 with Partition Magic Software
As Partition Magic Windows 7 software, Partition Assistant Pro
lets you create partition in Windows 7 without formatting, reinstalling, or converting to dynamic disk. Besides, you can perform other advanced operations in Windows 7 other than partition creator.
1. Launch Partition Assistant Pro.
2. Right click on the unallocated space and select "Create Partition" from the menu item.
3. In the pop-up windows, you can enter a partition label, select a drive letter, type partition size, and choose file system from the pull-down menu. While creating partition, you also could resize the new partition to a certain size by dragging the slider bar.
4. Click "OK". You can preview the newly created partition. To save the change, please click "Apply" on the toolbar.
- You can create partition in Windows 7 even without unallocated space. Learn more…
- In either case, you can only create logical partitions. Besides, one of the existing primary partitions will be converted to logical partition if there are already four primary partitions in Windows 7.
- As all-in-one partition manager software and powerful disk management tool, Partition Assistant Pro lets you resize and move partition, extend NTFS system partition without rebooting, merge two adjacent partitions, split partition, allocate free space, copy partition, copy disk and much more on MBR and GPT disk. Now free download demo version and check out.